This is a very popular home cooking meal. It has been in Japan for over a hundred years and many families have their own custom version of this recipe. Enjoy!!
Yield: 8 rolls
Time: 45 minutes
- 8 big leaves of cabbage
- 10 oz ground beef
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 tbsp panko
- 4 bacon (cut in half)
- 4 dry spaghetti (to hold rolls together)
Spices (for meat)
- 1 tbsp milk (mix with panko)
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- dash of salt and pepper
- dash nutmeg
Spices (for sauce)
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Boil cabbage leaves until soft, then slice off the hard white core, chop, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry onion until golden brown.
- Remove onion and set aside. Mix ground beef with onion, chopped cabbage core, panko/milk mixture, and ketchup, then knead.
- Sprinkle nutmeg, salt, and pepper
- Divide meat into eight equal parts
- Roll meat into cabbage leaves (see pictures) and cover with bacon. Spear with spaghetti to hold the roll together
- Put rolls in a sauce pan, add 1 cup water, bullion cube, tomatoes, soy sauce, and ketchup and cook over medium-high.
- When the sauce boils, add red wine. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!