Nikudofu is a popular dish in Japanese homes. The taste is similar to sukiyaki, but it is much easier to make, so you can whip it together if you’re busy or just feeling lazy!
Yield: 4 servings
Time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 lb sliced beef
- 10 oz tofu (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 onion (cut lengthwise)
- 1/2 shironegi (chopped)
- 7 oz ito konnyaku noodles
- Heat medium saucepan and cook shironegi for 30 seconds
- Add beef and onions and cook, while stirring, for 4 minutes
- Add dashi soup and sake.
- When mixture boils, add tofu, creating a wall between the beef and the other half of the pan (ito konnyaku can make the meat a little tough), then add ito konnyaku to the empty side (see picture)
- Add mirin and sugar, cover, and cook for 10 minutes on medium low, checking up on it occasionally to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Serve and enjoy!