This is the most common Teppanyaki (food that is grilled on an iron griddle) food. Okonomiyaki restaurants are everywhere in Japan. Osaka and Hiroshima are both very famous for Okonomiyaki. Osaka okonomiyaki (referred to as Kansaiyaki) and Hiroshima okonomiyaki (Hiroshimayaki) are prepared much differently. I made the Kansai style this time!!
Yield: 2 servings
Time: 20 minutes
- 1.5 cups okonomiyaki powder
- 1.25 cups water
- 1 beaten egg
- 0.4 lb sliced beef
- 3 cups sliced cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup bonito (optional)
- 4 tsp okonomiyaki sauce
- 2 tsp Japanese mayonnaise, such as Kewpie
- Mix okonomiyaki powder with water in a bowl until smooth
- Stir in egg, cabbage, green onion
- Heat oil in large frying pan then pour in the batter (like a big pancake), but leave some room around the edge to grill the beef (see picture).
- Add beef around the edge and cook cake and meat for 3 minutes
- Put the beef on top of the cake, flip the cake, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Spread on okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise, then sprinkle on some bonito (if desired)
- If you don’t have okonomiyaki sauce you can use oyster sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, and mayonnaise, 1 tsp each
- You may substitute beef with shrimp, pork, or squid