“Nimono” is the Japanese word for food that is boiled and seasoned. The taste is very mild and the aroma reminds me of the way my childhood home used to smell when I got home from school. Enjoy!
Yield: 2 servings
Time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 daikon (about 1 lb, cut into 2″ thick half circles)
- 1/3 lb boneless thigh chicken
- 1/3 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 konnyaku (1/4 lb)
- 1/4 cup green onion (chopped)
- Mix all spices in a bowl (soy sauce, sake, mirin, hondashi and sugar).
- Boil konnyaku for 3 minutes, strain, and set aside.
- Add 3 cups of water and daikon in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove daikon, set aside, then add chicken and boil for 5 minutes. Skim the top
- Add mixed spices, stir then add daikon, konnyaku, and carrot, cover with lid, and cook for 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Add green onions and serve.