Ebichiri is short for “ebi no chili sauce itame” which means grilled shrimp with chili sauce. But ironically we don’t use chili sauce for this food. Please let me know if you know why! This food comes from China but we modify it for the Japanese pallete. There are many Chinese restaurants in Japan but I don’t think you can find Ebichiri in China!
Yield: 2 servings
Time: 25 minutes
- 18 pieces of shrimp (216g)
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp ginger (minced)
- 1/4 culp green onion (chopped)
- 2 tsp sake (for uncooked shrimp)
- 1/4 tsp salt and a dash of pepper (for uncooked shrimp)
- 2 tsp katakuriko (potato starch for uncooked shrimp)
- 1/2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 tsp ketchup
- 1tsp chicken soup powder
- 1tsp doubanjiang
- dash of salt and pepper
- De-vein, shrimp wash with cold water
- Put shrimp in a small bowl, add salt and pepper, sake, katakuriko and mix.
- Mix spices (oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, ketchup, chicken powder) together in small bowl
- Heat oil in frying pan then sauté garlic and ginger
- Add shrimp/sake/katakuriko/doubanjiang mixture and cook for 1 minute over medium heat. Add green onion.
- Add mixed spices and 1/4 cup of water, mix, cook for 2 minutes and serve.