Mitarashi Dango is a Japanese sweet with mochi (rice cake) and thick, sweet sauce. It is originally from my hometown, Kyoto, but you can find it everywhere in Japan—even convenience stores. It is very good with hot tea.
Yield: 2 servings
Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 lb dango powder (glutinous rice flour)
- Bamboo skewers
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp katakuriko
- Mix dango powder with 1/3 cup of warm water until it forms the shape of a ball
- Roll it out and cut it into 15 pieces (see pic)
- Make 15 small balls (dango)
- Boil dango in a sauce pan for 2 minutes then set them aside. Discard water.
- Put the sauce in the pan (soy sauce, sugar and mirin) and heat
- Mix katakuriko with 1 tbsp water and add to sauce thicken
- Skewer dango on a bamboo stick or put them on a dish and drizzle sauce on top