Kinpira is a Japanese cooking style in which sliced vegetables are stir-fried and seasoned with sugar and soy sauce. Renkon (lotus root) has a snappy texture and a distinct appearance that will surely afford you many compliments!
Yield: 2 servings
Time: 15 minutes
- 3/4 lb Renkon (about 6″, thin sliced into wheels)
- 1 small carrot (sliced crosswise and halved)
- Mix 3 cups water and 1 tsp vinegar in a bowl, then marinate renkon for 3-4 min
- Mix spices (soy sauce, sake, mirin, sugar) in a small bowl
- Heat sesame oil in a frying pan and stir-fry renkon and carrots for 3 minutes
- Add mixed spices and stir for 2 min over low heat
- Sprinkle sesame on top and serve!