The combination of cheese and mochi (rice cake) gives the okonomiyaki a gooey texture, kind of like a cheese pizza. It’s fun to make a variety of okonomiyaki for parties.
Also check out my recipe for Kansai style okonomiyaki.
Yield: 2 servings
Time: 20 minutes
- 1.5 cups okonomiyaki powder
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 lb sliced beef
- 3 cups sliced cabbage
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 mochi (rice cake, about 2oz, chopped)
- 1/2 cup bonito (optional)
- Mix okonomiyaki powder with water in a bowl until smooth
- Mix in egg, cabbage, mochi and cheese in a bowl
- Heat oil in large frying pan then pour in the batter (like a big pancake), but leave some room around the edge to grill the beef (see picture).
- Add beef around the edge and cook cake and meat for 3 minutes
- Put the beef on top of the cake, flip the cake, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Spread on okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise, then sprinkle on some bonito (if desired)
- If you don’t have okonomiyaki sauce you can use oyster sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, and mayonnaise, 1 tsp each
- You may substitute beef with shrimp, pork, or squid